Old 06-01-2004, 02:12 PM
animaux

Default White Onions - Maturity?

I don't bury my onion sets. I put them just at the soil level. That way, they
are viewable. Actually, I use slips not sets. I just bury the roots. Onions
don't like to be too deep. When the tops die back, the onions have stopped
growing. However, if I need onions earlier I'll pull one and use it. It may be
smaller, but home grown onions are so much more flavorful than store bought.

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 00:35:31 -0800, Antipodean Bucket Farmer
opined:

Hi, Everybody,

Like the "Subject" says... How do I tell when my white
onions are ready to eat? Thickness or colour of the
leaves poking out? Or do I need to peek under the soil
a bit? Or, what?

Thanks in advance...