Old 06-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Marty Haber

Default [IBC] ligustrum [and extra added fig question]

... deciduous with an urge to be evergreen Nina

Well Doc, I like what Walter Pall has to say on the subject. He says that
only in the US do we talk about deciduous and evergreen. Everywhere else
they talk about conifers or needled trees vs. leafed trees. I think this
definition helps us to realize that evergreens only appear that way because
they bear one- and two-year-old needles over the winter. Eventually they
lose the old needles too. So when we talk about ligustrum having an "urge
to be evergreen", we really mean that they carry their last year's leaves
( leathery tho' they may be) into the winter. This should help explain the
phenomenon to your correspondent.
Marty P.S. Happy New Year!