Old 06-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Jerry Meislik

Default [IBC] ligustrum [and extra added fig question]

Healing a large cut on a fig is no easy chore. Mainly because most of us
grow these trees indoors and growth is thus much slower.
Any cut heals only because of growth of the trunk around the damaged area,
and this occurs in relationship to how much green foliage is growing near
the cut.
It will help to allow rampant growth of the tree.
It will help to allow branches as close to the cut to grow unrestrained.
If the cut is old damage the callus to stimulate it to grow again.
Most helpful, will be to turn the tree around so the cut will not be as
visible!
Keep your fingers crossed.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
Nina Shishkoff wrote:

snip

Everyone: Thanks for the Bucida advice! I was able to calm the mind of a
newbie. Here's my next question: Someone just bought a large fig with a
"dead area". He hopes he can encourage the cambium to heal over the dead
area. Now, we'll leave aside the troubling question of what killed the dead
area. I have no experience with large figs; my figs don't heal over cuts
worth a damn; is it likely this tree will?

Nina Shishkoff

Nina:
Jerry Meslik is probably the person to answer, but I'll throw in my limited
experience. I have a Ficus Too Little that I did a major cut on three years
ago. I did the cut right at the point where several major branches came out
of the trunk. This is a broom-style tree, more or less. For a couple of
years it healed over at a good rate, but has slowed down some now. The trunk
diameter at the cut is about 1.25
inches.

Craig Cowing
NY