Old 06-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Carlos

Default how far above tank for lights?

i have a hood with 192 watts, it comes with a fan so the lights would not
affect the temperature. if you have two fans i would recommend lowering the
lights until just above the tank. also, you loose many watts with pedant
lights.

take care.

"Paul" wrote in message

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
"Paul" wrote in message
Just got my new 40 gallon tank and stand set up. Have the AH supply 96

watt
lights and after putting the lights in the hood found that it was

raising
the temp of the water due to the glass top getting too warm..
--
Paul

You're better of installing a fan to cool the lights. Cooler bulbs run

more
efficient, also by raising the lights you wasting a lot of light.

Harry

Hey, thanks for the reply.
I have two 25 watt computer fans blowing across the bottom of the fixture
and at the 8" the glass top is cool to the touch and tank temp has not

being
affected the last 24 hrs. However I will expeirment and try modifying the
hood to lower it a little at a time to see just how much lower I can get

it
without affecting the tank temp. I need to re design the hood anyway.
--
Paul