Old 06-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Sacha

Default Got me seeds today

Nick Maclaren6/1/04 2:52

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Re the tomatoes: Admittedly, ours are grown in a professional prop house
on
| heated benches but our tomato seeds are in now. Ray tells me that when his
| family grew them commercially, they sowed them on 26th November!

With horticultural lighting, I assume? You can certainly plant
out much earlier than I can, but I have trouble with weediness
sowing even in late February.

I don't know if Ray used such lighting in Upshire but will check later. But
we don't use any here. I am only talking about tomato seeds, though and not
the other, more exotic, things mentioned by the OP. Once the seedlings are
ready for potting on, they go into 'long toms' for the few that we sell and
our own go into bags of compost and are kept in the biggest glasshouse.
And as an aside, so many people commented favourably on my personal hanging
basket of 'Tumbler' tomatoes that we're going to plant some up for sale this
year, along with the more usual flowery ones.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk