Old 06-01-2004, 05:12 PM
madgardener

Default ~Spider Plant TOOOOOO BIG!

the biggest problems with "cutting off the roots" is that spider plants have
those tuberous things that store water and such. I think a division of the
plant would be much better. Tell her to take the plant home, knock off all
the soil and rinse the plant good to expose what's inside and look for
seperate areas she can take a serrated knife and divide. She should get two
or three plants out of the one huge one. It will sulk after this but this is
easier on the plant than just "cutting off the roots" as those tubers resent
whacking. But then, that's just MY opinion. Let me know how it goes for
her Tom.
madgardener
"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
An email from my daughter:

I have a spider plant in my office that I have had since college.

Needless to
say, she (her name is Charlotte) is huge! I repotted her in a 14 inch

"super
pot" about 4 years ago, hoping to never repot her again.

Well, Charlotte's leaves are turning yellow, and the roots are coming out

the
bottom. I need to repot her again? Is there any way to stop a plant from
growing? I don't want her to grow any bigger, but don't want her to die

if I
don't repot her.

If I repot her, the pot will be too big for my office. If I bring her

home,
Sienna (her cat) will chew her up!

What should she do?