Old 06-01-2004, 06:16 PM
Bill Bolle

Default Advice sought on large hoophouse

simy1 wrote:

Bill Bolle wrote in message ...

Before you start building with PVC take a look at this hoophouse:

http://www2.moment.net/~wingnut/hoophouse.htm

Bill

I am settled on the cattle panel hoophouse (a PVC one has too many
techincal problems which I won't mention here, though I will use PVC
pipes at the edges for the clamping of poly). One last question: the
hoophouses( two of them, each
38X12, side by side), should be oriented N-S or E-W? Light hitting the
poly
at an angle below 40 degrees is totally reflected.

I really don't know which way would be the best-----I've seen
greenhouses around here pointing in all sorts of directions, based
mostly, I guess, on the topography of their land. Logically I would
assume that the benefits of a hoophouse would be in its use during the
winter and I think that with low sun angles that you would get the
best perpendicular angle of the suns rays with a East/West
orientation. One problem with E/W would be that the hoophouses would
have to be end to end and not side by side.
For what it's worth-------Bill