Old 07-01-2004, 02:47 AM
len gardener

Default Len - Mulch

g'day martin,

reckon that centricon system is a good system there are others
similar. our house is steel and concrete with very little wood trim
for that very reason, termite resistant and fire resistant, also no
passive termite control needed with council blessings not needed maybe
all homes in termite infested australia should be built of steel
etc.,. termites will travel up the inside of cement or brick stumps if
they can find a crack big enough to get through, they need a covered
pathway that is why they build tunnels in the open.

and as the termite fella said rural homes suffer less because there is
heaps of food source for the termites, that's is why some of us always
had piles of branches and timber up in the gardens to keep the little
beggers happy.

i've done a lot of gardening but not like most i set a garden up then
just keep adding mulch and plants as needed i don't spend time in the
garden weeding or digging, that's the permaculture way spend more time
enjoying the fruits of our labour or enjoying our favourite drink than
maintaining a garden. ours are weed free, water wise & no dig. so our
opportunities to see termites in the garden are far reduced but we can
get by without the experience.

we had centricon at our last place in the 'burbs and in 2 years never
got one look in at the traps, the place had never been treated that we
could determine and had never been visited by termites although the
fence up the back appeared to have been hit by termites some long time
ago.

take care

len

snipped