Old 07-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Linda

Default March Flies

Yep - they bite through the fabric - which has to be fairly taut on
the skin, so they were going for the thighs. On that occasion we were
really watching them and studying them, they were so ferocious. Those
two days they were biting through denimin and towelling.

These are the sub-alpine, Victorian March Fly. I grew up with them,
and they are nasty.

Linda

John Savage wrote:

Linda writes:

snip

Are you saying that the March flies were biting you through the fabric??
The sites they get me are on the bare arms or bare legs, and once or twice
on the back of the neck, but I've never known of anyone being bitten
through their clothing. In which part of the country are these flies that
attack through clothing?

I've found that some of the more ferocious mosquitoes don't baulk at a
light covering of fabric, even denim.