Old 07-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Container Advice Please!

"Julie Clark" wrote in
:

I am hoping to put my house on the market mid-April time and I want to
make a good first impression if I can. I live in a mid terraced house
so no front garden to speak of. I have put some decking down to keep
it tidy but now want some plant advice for a few containers. The area
gets the sun first thing in the morning but loses it by about 11am and
doesn't get it back at all. It isn't under any cover so will get the
rain etc, but it is also near enough for the young hooligans down the
road to lean over the wall and pull up anything that spreads within
their reach. I want something that will give a bit of colour but is
likely to survive without too much TLC since I'm new and a bit of a
garden know-it-nothing. When should I plant to see colour in mid-April
time?

I'd suggest a few stylish evergreens rather than putting all your bets
on flowering plants. Evergreens are more likely to appeal to a wide
audience than bedding plants, need less maintenance, and look their best
whether it hails or shines. And you can always take them with you with
you move.

April is too early for the 'summer annuals' like petunias to be looking
good, but if you get daffodils and azaleas for spring colour they won't
be looking so good if you don't sell immediately and are still showing
the house at the end of May.

Box plants are a nice shape and are very tolerant of shade, for example.
Or baby phormiums have attractively coloured leaves, and are a nice
striking pointy sort of shape (though they will outgrow your pots in
time).

Along the same lines, is there a preferred compost, drainage
system, watering regime that is better for pots or is that dependent
on the type of plants you've used?

You can get moisture retaining granules for pots and hanging baskets
that prevents the compost drying out so quickly. Well worth getting a
sachet or two, though make sure you don't fill the pot right to the top
with compost, as the granules expand when you water them.

Victoria