Old 07-01-2004, 03:12 PM
R M. Watkin

Default White Onions - Maturity?

Hi All,

if you leave your sets above the ground the birds will pull them out, at
least they do in the U. K. allso when the set starts to grow it will push
itself out of the ground as the roots grow, so if you do not bury it you
will need to earth it up to keep it damp or the roots will dry out. all so
white onions do not keep very well so it is best to use them first. at least
that is what I have found. hope this is of some use to you.

Richard M. Watkin.

"animaux" wrote in message
I don't bury my onion sets. I put them just at the soil level. That way,

they
are viewable. Actually, I use slips not sets. I just bury the roots.

Onions
don't like to be too deep. When the tops die back, the onions have

stopped
growing. However, if I need onions earlier I'll pull one and use it. It

may be
smaller, but home grown onions are so much more flavorful than store

bought.

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 00:35:31 -0800, Antipodean Bucket Farmer
opined:

Hi, Everybody,

Like the "Subject" says... How do I tell when my white
onions are ready to eat? Thickness or colour of the
leaves poking out? Or do I need to peek under the soil
a bit? Or, what?

Thanks in advance...