Old 07-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Mike Lyle

Default lawn seed for shade

"Space Cowboy" wrote in message ...
"PK" wrote in message

Any views on using seed mixes designed for shade? I've a small area I'm
preparing at the moment, lawn on the same side of the garden elsewhere

tends
to moss and weak grass growth.

pk

I have not used it personally but i have seen the results which were very
impressive.

The patch will probably want feeding: nitrogen in a balanced lawn
fertilizer will help the grass to compete with the mosses.

Otherwise, no problem with the appropriate seed blend, and as long as
you don't cut too short -- a very short cut doesn't leave the grasses
with enough leaf to grow strongly. I'd use the grass-box on the mower,
too, so that plenty of light and air can get in.

Mike.