Old 08-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Pam - gardengal

Default Identify Unknown Houseplant

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:53:53 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

I gave you all a chance to go first but you kids let me down.

Identifying plants isn't as easy as you all seem to mistakenly believe it
is, isn't it?

Most people do very poorly at identifying succulent plants.

Don't know why but that's the way it is.

*I* certainly don't believe plant ID is easy. You, on the other hand,
are obviously an expert ('though very occasionally fallible). With the
bezillions (this is the certified scientific number) of plant genus
and species in the world, it's a wonder we can reliably ID a ginko!
Those of us who don't make an ongoing study of plants are gonna forget
what little we *do* know over time. I was once able to identify a
dozen different oaks and maples from their leaves. Now I'm thrilled to
be able to shout "American Sycamore" when a see a dry leaf. (I never
did very well on bark ID.)

Most people have little experience with succulents, not to mention
most of their (my) experience being with starts of plants called
"string of pearls" or "Indian something."

Outside of your specific expertise, your admonitions to provide
picures and/or to specify those details we once learned in biology
class -- opposite or alternate; lobed, smooth, or toothed; square or
not(?) stem -- are good advice to keep these queries from turning into
endless wrangles.

Sucking up? You betcha. A lot cheaper than buying a book (outrageous
expense) to have Cereoid on call.

Oh for heaven's sake, stop giving him more credence than he is due. Whatever
ability he may have at ID is no mitigation for his unfailingly smug
rudeness. I am more than willing to admit he has a remarkable ability (or so
it appears - he may just be blowing smoke) when it comes to cacti,
succulents or some tropicals - obviously his area of expertise - but notice
how he is not quite so quick on the draw when it comes to woodies or
perennials? He is not the slightest bit infallible and his sh*t stinks just
the rest of ours. Stop deifying the jerk.