Old 08-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Got me seeds today

The message
In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:

PS. I always forget, is a tomato a vegetable or a fruit?

You'll have to ask the EC.

Apparently, carrots are now fruit.....

That is only following a UK precedent. The Ministry of Food was
very keen on treating them as fruit in the 1940s.

As I understand it, either the Dutch or the Belgians make jam from
carrots, and you aren't allowed to call anything jam (or confiture?)
unless it's made from fruit, which upset the poor nationals in the same
way that Cadbury's and Co were miffed when they were threatened with a
ban on calling their products 'chocolate'.

Nonsense has prevailed as usual.

I notice that Jacob's still make cream crackers.......

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/