Old 08-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Stephen Goodall

Default Is this true? If so, it gives me an idea

Try marigolds they also attract hoverflies. I am told Hoverfly grubs eat
aphids.
Stephen

http://uk.geocities.com/giftideasuk/

http://uk.geocities.com/gardeningforpleasureuk/

"martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 08:28:07 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
On http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/cgi-bin/p...opaeolum+majus I
read

"Research indicates that aphids flying over plants with orange or

yellow
flowers do not stop, nor do they prey on plants growing next to or

above
the flowers[201]. "

[201] Allardice.P. A - Z of Companion Planting. Cassell Publishers Ltd.
1993 ISBN 0-304-34324-2

So could one protect crops from aphids by putting out plastic flowers?
(which might be more convenient)

Perhaps ribbons of coloured paper might do the job.
Something for the organic growers to try out?

))
--
Martin