Old 08-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Steve Harris

Default Is this true? If so, it gives me an idea

In article ,
(Stephen Goodall) wrote:

Try marigolds they also attract hoverflies. I am told Hoverfly grubs
eat aphids.

Yeah, I've been told that too. It's all over the Internet so it must be
true. Only it isn't.

I had loads of hoverflies before I even bought a packet of marigold
seed. Once the marigolds were up, the hoverflies ignored them. Maybe
they did eat a few aphids but not all.

Then it's also well known that ladybirds eat aphids. I had loads of both
but the ladybirds couldn't be arsed to wander over to the aphid-ridden
plants.

So I sprayed. Job done.

Evidence-Based Gardening anyone?