Old 08-01-2004, 05:12 PM

Default Everything Under Snow

I remember the run of extremely cold weather. It was right before and during
Christmas and there was black ice all over the freeways in Mpls/St. Paul
This was after some cars had slid off bridges and into the Mississippi. We went from
there to D.C. where 1 inch of snow and there is a call for 4 wheel drive to take
essential personnel to work. yeah right. we are back in Milwaukee, 6 blocks from
the lake and I really like how much warmer it is, altho I would rather winter in
Alabama. sigh. well at least it snowed before this nasty cold weather hit. Ingrid

"B & J" bjskeff@removecox-internetcom wrote:
There were only a three times when I saw things shut down in northern MN.
Once was when I was a kid and a November 11 blizzard hit that left six to
eight foot snow banks and caused many stranded motorist to freeze to death.
Another was when I was in college and a blizzard struck that covered first
story dormitory windows. The third time was a day of extreme cold in 1994 or
1995 when the governor closed all the school in the state. The high
temperature in the state for the day was a -40 F. A small town not far from
where we lived set a state record of -60 F. Where we lived hit a mere -55 F.

We now live in northern AR, and at first when I lived here, I laughed when
schools closed at the first sign of a snowflake. I can now understand why
school close so quickly here after sliding half way down the hill in our
back yard after a small snow followed by some sleet. So many of the roads in
our area are hilly and winding and could be extremely hazardous for a bus to
navigate in slippery conditions.

John

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/