Old 08-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Shoot Tip Moth

Those things were the bane of my existence when I was on Long Island. In June, I put fine netting over my pines. That prevents the moths from laying eggs. You can also spray an insecticide, as long as you get good coverage, but it's difficult to dissuad
e female moths from laying eggs, since it's not their mouths, but their ovipositors which are making contact, and then, only as long as it takes to lay the eggs.

It is very important to contact your Cooperative Extension Agency and find out when the eggs are laid. They will be laid earlier in Alabama than in New Jersey, and earlier in New Jersey than in Maine, so you really need local information. Also, Cooperativ
e Extension can tell you which products are labeled for this use in your state.

-Nina

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++