Old 08-01-2004, 09:26 PM
martin

Default Is this true? If so, it gives me an idea

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 19:52:33 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article ,
(Stephen Goodall) wrote:

Try marigolds they also attract hoverflies. I am told Hoverfly grubs
eat aphids.

Yeah, I've been told that too. It's all over the Internet so it must be
true. Only it isn't.

I had loads of hoverflies before I even bought a packet of marigold
seed. Once the marigolds were up, the hoverflies ignored them. Maybe
they did eat a few aphids but not all.

Then it's also well known that ladybirds eat aphids. I had loads of both
but the ladybirds couldn't be arsed to wander over to the aphid-ridden
plants.

So I sprayed. Job done.

Evidence-Based Gardening anyone?

Yes: Pest control by the use of predators is a load of codswallop.

not quite...

Our cats have totally eliminated mice and voles from our garden and
house. It has taken 11 years. We trained them to do the same with
aphids and slugs but without success.
We conclude that the cats are too old.
--
Martin