Old 08-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Harry Muscle

Default To Quarantine first fish in tank... or not?

I'm gonna be setting up my new 55G planted tank soon, and I'm wondering if I
should quarantine the first fish that I will introduce ... which will be 3
SAE, & 6 Ottos. I know that the pro for quarantining the first fish is that
it's cheaper to medicate them if needed in a smaller tank. However, my main
concern is ... is there a chance that these fish might carry something that
could infect other fish that will be added later on? So for example, I add
my 9 initial fish to the main tank, they are fine, no signs of illness,
however, something that they had makes a home in my tank, and then infects
fish that I add later on (which went through a quarantine period). Hope
that makes sense. So could the above scenario happen, and could it be
prevented by quarantining the first fish?

Thanks,
Harry