Old 08-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Andy Hunt

Default Grape vine/kiwi fruit?

I think this might be duplicating someone's earlier post, but . . .

Do you think I would be able to grow a fruiting grape vine up North? I have
this "walled garden", and the walls are less than fantastic to look at, with
peeling whitewash and stuff. I'm trying to encourage an ivy to grow all over
it, rather than trying to paint it, but it's only about a foot long so far,
so there's a way to go!

Anyway - I have lots of wall space, and wondered about a grape vine. I've
heard that with the warmer summers recently some people have had success
with vines in the North, but I'm not sure. I believe they're relatively
expensive to buy, and difficult to look after, so I don't want to get one if
it's going to be a dead loss.

Also - is it possible to grow a kiwi fruit tree from seed, or is it best to
get a small one and pot it? I have a "magic shelf" inside where I could
easily start one off, I think, even now while it's cold. I don't know if I
would be OK potting it in the spring/summer, though.

Would the same thing be possible for a grape vine, do you think?

Thanks again in advance!

Andrew