Old 08-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Snowdrops

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:34:49 -0000, Janice wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message news:BC2300F1.12F24%

Makes me think of the Gertrude Jekyll 'joke' that gets recycled here every
so often: "no matter how small your garden, always set aside an acre for
woodland". ;-)

I read yesterday that Prince Charles's Highrove "only" employs 10 gardeners.

It drives me wild when books or tv shows go on about "small" gardens and
then show something close to an acre. If only I could have such a "small"
garden!

I have an interesting book on garden design, "Garden Planning" by
W. S Rogers, published in 1910. As an English book from the
Edwardian era, it naturally falls under suspicion of Jekyllism
with respect to the definition of "small". Contrary to this
suspicion, however, most of the garden designs in it are for
quite small urban gardens, not the country estates of the filthy
rich.

I'm not sure how his suggested designs work out in practice, but
the plans don't look bad at all.

A book worth seeking out by those interested in garden design
issues.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada