Old 09-01-2004, 12:44 AM
Andy Hunt

Default Grape vine/kiwi fruit?

There are self-fertile cultivars available, so it would be quicker and
easier to buy a plant. I understand they do need a long warm summer to
fruit through (at any rate, the ones I grew from seed never fruited,
though they made attractive plants.)

I have just planted this autumn a kiwi relative - actinidia arguta
'issai'. This is supposed to be more willing to fruit in our summers
than standard kiwis, self-fertile, and has smaller, bald fruit like big
green grapes. I was greatly cheered when the plant arrived from
www.burncoose.co.uk in October, and proved to be already covered in
fruits, which I was advised to remove. I did, and they were delicious!

Thanks Victoria, I really appreciate your advice. I hope your kiwi relative
works out! I think I'll do what you suggest and get a plant, I might try the
"original brand" first, and see how I go.

The last couple of summers up here have been long and hot, but before that
we had a few very wet ones. But if it's a climate change thing, then that
means that as well as hotter summers we'll be getting colder winters, and it
has been very cold here this winter. Do you think that very cold weather and
frosts might damage the plant in winter? I suppose there's one way to find
out . . . !

When should I put it in?

Thanks again,

Andrew