Old 09-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Andy Rutledge

Default [IBC] '03 award programs

the qualifying conditions below:

I hope that in the future, such criteria for entry into judged exhibits and
contests will recognize the difference between a beautiful bonsai and an
artist's efforts - instead of assuming that there is no distinction. In
Japan, for instance, one may exhibit a beautiful bonsai that one "owns," but
does not train in Kokufu-ten. Also/Or, one may be an artist and enter one's
tree in Sakufu-ten - where the efforts of the artists are compared and
evaluated. This way, the bonsai community and the general public get to see
how the best bonsai of whatever pedigree are evaluated.

What a shame that here in the U.S. a beautiful bonsai that one may have
purchased last month is inelegable to be entered into any event where
supposedly "the beauty of bonsai" is evaluated. I guess the
owner/collectors of the world are just out of luck in the U.S.. We here in
the U.S. seem only to be concerned with artists who want to exhibit their
own work. So instead of the public and the bonsai community seeing the best
bonsai be recognized, we're relegated to seeing the "best bonsai among those
whose owners have worked on them for the past 3-5 years themselves" be
recognized. Don't make sense to me, but I recon I gots some learnin' to do.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
www.andyrutledge.com/palaver/main.htm
zone 8, Texas