Old 09-01-2004, 12:04 PM
Christopher Norton

Default Got me seeds today

The message m
from Martin Bates contains
these words:

What sort of chillis and 20% by volume or weight? If they are hot

chillis and it was 20% by weight, that would be quite impressive!

20% by volume. The chillis were a mixture of "Bacio di Satana" (Satan's
kiss, very hot) and Fresno (reasonably hot). The tomatoes were
"Principe Borghese" (small italian tomatoes) and good old Gardeners
Delight.

What struck me was that the mixture was very hot to the taste before
setting (I really thought I had messed up as it was too hot to eat
comfortably), but once set, you cannot taste the chilli at once if you
eat it neat. Only after swallowing do you notice it. On toast, you
hardly notice it at all in the mouth, only once swallowed.

If you don't like chillis you can make a standard tomato marmalade/jam
just leaving out the chillis (there are many recipes on the net),
although this tastes a bit bland after the chilli jam! I just adapted
one of these by throwing in loads of chillis as an experiment.
--
Martin Bates

The sugar in the mixture helps to calm the hot spots on your tongue.
It`s why mango chutney with a curry helps.