Old 09-01-2004, 04:12 PM
John Hines

Default Burning Down the Pond

Mike Patterson wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:45:01 GMT, "Just Me \"Koi\""
wrote:

You are my kind of Dude, Dude!

Fire? Who is afraid of fire! Not you!

Actually I think it is a great idea, only that I am not masculine enough to
mess with gas or electricity!

For it to really look cool, the nozzle will have to be hidden, and the gas
flow will have to be substantial enough to flood the surface of the water
and then be ignite and sustain the burn! You said it best that you will
need to play with the gas nozzle, fire extinguisher, scotched Koi, first aid
kit, and one touch dial to the paramedics and the fire department.

If you pull it off though, I will be the first in line to emulate you!

I'm hoping to be able to have the nozzle under the water, the farther
down the better.

Check on the dissolvability of natural gas, and its components in water.
It has been a long time since chem class, I don't know. A lab with
bunsen burners would be really handy here, maybe you can get some HS
students interested in a little experiment. Or maybe ask in a chemistry
newsgroup.

You might also want to look at industrial supply sites, as burning off
excess gas is a common problem in oil production, and landfills.

Simply having the flame at pond level would be cool, think of the
eternal flame at Kennedy's grave site, except coming out of water, with
no visible means of support, just a flame coming out of the middle of
the pond.

I have a couple of old metal #10 washtubs, I think they hold 50-60
gallons, I'll use one for my "test pond".

A really good idea.

If I can find a way to test for toxins, I will. If not, I may get a
coupla cheap goldfiah to act as my "canaries".

The under USD$2 per dozen goldfish sold for feeding other fish, work
well as pond fish. They grow up very nicely.