Old 09-01-2004, 09:03 PM
John Hines

Default Burning Down the Pond

Mike Patterson wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 09:37:27 -0600, John Hines
wrote:

Mike Patterson wrote:

'Cause I don't want no cutesy namby-pamby girly thing, I'm going for
-cool- not -cute-. :-)

Micro butane torches, like the pocket sized ones, and a styrofoam
collar? (harbor freight item 39440-3rah $5)

That's a thought, I actually have one of those, but I was hoping to
get the "fire on the water with no visible means of support" look.

Put it in a partially submerged container, which floats such that it
holds the flame in the right position to the water? Paint it black and
it will disappear from sight.

Just how water-insoluble is gasoline, I wonder? And how completely
would it burn off the surface of the water?

Again, look for a cleaner oil. For example, pure (clear) kerosene. The
fewer the additives, the easier it is to figure out.

You should look into the water-carbide reaction which generates
acetylene when mixed. This was what used to power headlines and miners
hat lights back about 1900 or so. What is left is a mess, which one
wouldn't want in the pond, but if you could keep them separate, it is a
historical source of portable flammable gas.