Old 09-01-2004, 10:05 PM
-=Almazick=-

Default (almost) free plants

My nitrate level is around 20-40ppm, Co2 around 15ppm and I have no idea
about phosphate, potassium and iron level but I do add a little of bit
everything by using Seachem products and Leaf Zone. I can see a little bit
of brush algae on the top of my gravel and I assume it infects all my
plants. From what I read brush algae will grow as long as it is in the tank
and there is no way to kill it unless you get rid of it first to make sure
there are no algae pores in the tank and then as long as you balance the
tank you won't get brush algae again.

"N. Wise" wrote in message
My plants grow fast and to keep low nitrates is very hard. Nitrates

always
stay 20-40ppm. I tried almost everything but nothing helps. I just

can't
find the cause of the problem. By the way which one is it? Brush-Red or
Hair algae? What would you do in my shoes besides buying a true SAE. I
know how to balance the tank but nothing works I suspect the gravel

is
bad. Algae keeps infecting my plants because of gravel. I believe, once

start over I will destroy current algae so it won't grow back. I'm just

little bit confused now because to start over will take me about a month

do a cycle and cleaning everything in 70G tank. The funny thing is I

tried
a few experiments by putting some plants in dark place for two weeks in a
bowl of water but algae isn't afraid of dark My lights stay up for 10
hours a day, I feed once a day, I do water change once a week about 20%,
etc. About 2 month ago I cut all my infected plants and everything was
perfect and a little later it started again.

You can start over all you want. You are still going to have algae

problems.
Only when you listen to people on this newsgroup and start getting your
nutrients in balance are you going to have a tank that controls algae.

If your nitrates are not zero, then there is something else. What are the
measurements of your phosphate, iron and CO2 levels? Are you dosing

potassium?
how much?

How do you think your gravel is causing algae? Gravel has nothing to do

with
nutrients except in its role as a home for denitrifying bacteria.

N. Wise
http://members.aol.com/nwwise01/