Old 10-01-2004, 12:17 AM
Chagoi

Default Burning Down the Pond

John Hines wrote:

Mike Patterson wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 09:37:27 -0600, John Hines
wrote:

Mike Patterson wrote:

'Cause I don't want no cutesy namby-pamby girly thing, I'm going for
-cool- not -cute-. :-)

Micro butane torches, like the pocket sized ones, and a styrofoam
collar? (harbor freight item 39440-3rah $5)

That's a thought, I actually have one of those, but I was hoping to
get the "fire on the water with no visible means of support" look.

Put it in a partially submerged container, which floats such that it
holds the flame in the right position to the water? Paint it black and
it will disappear from sight.

That is basically the design of the FEFD I spoke of earlier.

Just how water-insoluble is gasoline, I wonder? And how completely
would it burn off the surface of the water?

No matter what you use, it is still going to be petroleum based
and you know what happens to wild life when water and oil try to mix.

Again, look for a cleaner oil. For example, pure (clear) kerosene. The
fewer the additives, the easier it is to figure out.

even Coleman fuel will have harmful after effects.

You should look into the water-carbide reaction which generates
acetylene when mixed. This was what used to power headlines and miners
hat lights back about 1900 or so. What is left is a mess, which one
wouldn't want in the pond, but if you could keep them separate, it is a
historical source of portable flammable gas.

those miner lamps usually held about 2 oz. of carbide rock and 3-4 oz of
water
and lasted several hours. And they only produced a small brilliant
white flame.
It would probably take you about 100 lbs and 20 gals of water to generate
enough acetylene to burn about an hour.

Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com