Old 10-01-2004, 07:42 AM
JennyC

Default Where do red spider mite come from?

" Emrys Davies" wrote .
'Pam',
I am really at a loss here and somewhat annoyed to say the least.

snip
Now, can anyone help to eradicate the red spider problem?
Regards, Emrys Davies.

I agree with you Emrys ! Going OT is OK so long as the thread splits and the
original post does not become lost.

I too have wondered where pests suddenly appear from - lily beetles for
instance. They seem to home in from miles away!

Back to red spider mite. I don't have a clue where they come from but the
following sites may throw some light on the subject:

http://www.hortnet.co.nz/publication...s/hf401024.htm
http://www.defenders.co.uk/red_spider_mite.htm

It seems they may de distributed by wind or that the eggs are already in the
soil of a plant brought into the G.H.

They seem to have originated in South America:
http://www.tropentag.de/abstract.php?code=Y3GpnVoI

HTH (but at least it back on topic!)
Jenny