Old 10-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Keith Edkins

Default trying to id insect

"r" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I found insects (?) hiding in my indoor plants last Fall and I'm
hoping someone can help in identifying them. Two pictures of the same
insect are posted on http://web.ncf.ca/eq179/#_insecte_mystère__haut.
The camera's autofocus didn't like the tile floor, so the pictures are
fuzzy.

I nudged one of the insects while it was hanging on a plant, to see if
it would fly, but it just crashed in the floor.

BTW I'm located in Ontario CANADA if it helps to id these.

Thanks,

I think we've had this one before in sci.bio.entomology.misc.

"Western" conifer seed bug or leaf-footed bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis.

"Once restricted to western North America but has steadily spread eastward,
reaching Ontario about 1985. Adults and nymphs feed on the developing cones
of a wide variety of conifers such as pine trees. In the fall adults
concentrate on the sunny side of buildings and a few enter homes in search
of hibernation sites." (http://www.ojibway.ca/bugs.asp)

Google will find you hundreds of sites about it.

Keith