Old 10-01-2004, 08:02 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default High Nitrate Level for Koi

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 07:01:51 -0900, Offbreed wrote:

I'm confused. Doesn't "high quality" usually mean "high protein"?

I don't think so. High quality feed is representative of the right feed for
the right animal for the right conditions.

Isn't protein high in nitrogen? I know that the manure collectors in
olden China would get better prices for human shit collected from the
rich part of town because it made better fertilizer.

In the olden days this was probably true. Now days with all the fast food
junk, even in China, I would wonder.

Of course, a "lower" quality food would have a higher roughage content
and produce a different problem to be cleaned up. OTOH, bacteria
attacking the undigested roughage should bind nitrogen, and reduce the
nitrate problem, wouldn't it?

No, because bacteria break down the waste to ammonia, nitrite and finally
to nitrate, regardless of type. (At least that's my understanding.) Ideally
we try to supplement our fishes diet with high yield low waste feeds, they
should get roughage off of algae and bug exoskeletons. ;o)

Now if you want to talk fish food, let's talk about what they're feeding
the salmon that WE eat!!!! Between that & Mad Cow animal food producers
need some obviously looks over their shoulders. Sheesh!!!! ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a