Old 10-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Chagoi

Default Burning Down the Pond

Ka30P wrote:

You people are all nuts ;-)

And I nominate you all for that TV
program MONSTER HOUSE.
But I think we should rename
it MONSTER POND.

This project demands a web page
when it is done...

Ka30P & Janet

I guess I am just going to have to come out and tell MiKe P. that he is
literally]
PLAYING WTH FIRE AND CAN GET SERIOUSLY BURNED. "NO PUN INTENDED"
There are too, too, many things that can go wrong with what he is
attempting to do
and the way he wants to go about it.

I work with propane, gas fireplaces and the like. I have trained with
GAS both as a fireman
and as a repairman/installer. I have also experimented with it and my
gas campfire is a hybrid
of regular manufacturers design and some of my own.

The Flame thingy or the FEFD (Floating Eternal Flame Device) as it will
be called if it works.
Has all the safety controls, valves, pilot light, and burners that your
home gas furnace has only
on a smaller, simpler scale.

You can't just run a gas line and light the gas and expect it to stay
lit. Especially in a pond with waves
or even ripples from curious fish swimming by near the surface.

Again I repeat:
The only way the bubble method might work is if you have a standing
pilot. To help maintain the flame.
Even then you will probably have a very unstable flame.
(ex. Fireball... steady pilot flame... Fireball...steady pilot
flame...Fireball...Fireball... Fireball...steady flame...etc, etc, etc...

If it wasn't so cold (-4 F last night, only 11 F today and maybe 20 F
tomorrow) and everything frozen I could go outside
and do some video of what he wants to do and show him just what CAN and
WILL happen if he goes
about the testing he wants to do. But, Ice doesn’t bubble too well.

Even with my training and respect of gas, I get SCARED at times when
experimenting. And I am not ashamed to admit it.
I have lost my share of eyebrows, moustache, and beard to
experimentation. No serious burns, other than forgetting
that a part was hot.

Again Mike P;
"YOUR PLAYING WTH FIRE AND CAN GET SERIOUSLY BURNED". "NO PUN INTENDED"
I don't want to have to tell you later: I TOLD YOU SO!

Mike S.
Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com