Old 11-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Andrew

Default Was: Moss/Lichen on roof, now we are into pollution.

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"IMM" wrote in message
Vehicles "are" a very large polluters, especially when they are

concentrated
in cities, where masses of people live. Great progress is being made on
pollution from homes, in insulation standards, boiler efficiency , etc,

yet
there appears no immediate solution to the filthy car.

Sorry!? I think you have that the wrong way round.

snip
Catalytic Converters, Electronic Engine Control, lean burn engines, two

I thought the EU forced the UK to ditch lean-burn technology and adopt
their ideas involving expensive catalysts.
stage ignition, direct petrol injection, particle traps etc with more to
come. We are significantly reducing overall pollution figures despite a
massive increase in vehicles, now all we need to do is get rid of all those
old polluting buses.

As for central heating, I thought the figures were they produced 80% of the
greenhouse gasses produced in this country.
Technology is there
to make boilers very efficient and very clean burning, at no great cost,
also by increasing insulation standards, a homes emissions can be
drastically reduced. This can be done right now and people wonder why it

is
not being implemented. The car? Well apart from taxing larger engines, not
much at all can be done. There are some advanced concept engines around,
but the big corps have not yet taken up these ideas, tending not wanting

any
change at all.

Not much can be done about cars? What about the exhaust emmissions laws
which have worked amazingly and conuinue to get tougher, the MOT emissions
tests, that's a damn sight more than is happening with central heating.
Some people use boilers that are decades old and with no maintanance.

Air transport is a far worse offender than modern road vehicles, and all
totally tax free. Bare that in mind the next time you pop into the
supermarket and buy those exotic fruits and baby vegetables.

However for real pollution, try travelling on the Victoria line of the
London underground if you really want your eyes to smart with
particulate crap
--
Andrew