Old 11-01-2004, 02:32 AM
Pam - gardengal

Default snow damaged new zealand flax? fix?

"Gregg Catanese" wrote in message
ink.net...
Not sure what your experience might be, but my recollection is that

Phormium
hybrids, like 'Sundowner', 'Apricot Queen', 'Maori Maiden' can't stand
temperatures below about 20 F.

I'd probably do what I could to protect the growing crowns, including

tying
leaves up over them.

As long as drainage is good, you could very well have root hardiness
somewhat below that temp, although the foliar growth maybe damaged. Wait
until all chance of severe weather is past and temperatures (including the
soil) warms up. Then cut the foliage back to the ground. If the roots remain
viable then the top growth will resprout. Looks pretty funky for a few
months, but by midsummer, it should look like a phormium again.
Unforunately, snow damage (bending) doesn't always rectify itself. If the
top growth hasn't been cold damaged - you'll know, the blades will shrivel
and turn brown/black - then you can trim back the blades most affected.
Almost like thinning the plant out..

I'm looking at that for a large 6'x'6 one myself. Temperatures into the
teens last week, then snow, then an ice storm.. Luckily, the smaller ones
seem to be unaffected.

pam - gardengal

wrote in message
have a couple of very big nz flax plants

got snowed on this week and a lot of the exterior
leaves got leveled

got the snow off them asap but they are still down

any thoughts about them, the leaves, springing
back upright?

any help?

thought about running a rope all around the plants
to give them a temp lift?

what is the physical mechanics going on here?

thanks

bill