Old 11-01-2004, 03:04 AM

Default High Nitrate Level for Koi

low quality food has a lot of carbohydrates and/or proteins in a form that is
undigestible by koi. basically, it goes in one end and out the other without being
well digested and utilized. high quality koi food is both high in protein, but also
the first couple ingredients (indicating the most) are protein sources that come from
the water ... like whitefish, fish meal, krill, etc. if corn is the first
ingredient, the food is low quality as that is both complex carbohydrate and land
based plant.
the idea is to feed high quality, but very little of it at a time. that way the food
is completely digested and what comes out isnt such great food for bacteria to
convert to wastes. Ingrid

(MC) wrote:
What do you mean by "low quality food"? What types of food helps keep
the nitrates low?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com