Old 11-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] '03 award programs

And once again, Andy, I would like to point out that it is not
the large organizations who are creating this requirement. We are only
following the wishes of the persons who sponsor the competitions and ask
us to administer them. If you can find someone who will put up the
money to sponsor the type of competition you are espousing or can
persuade one of the current sponsors to change their requirements, there
will be no problem with getting us to administer it that way.
Actually, Award Certré International already permits what you
espouse to a degree. The rules require that "the bonsai must have been
part of the artist's personal collection for a minimum of three years,"
but they do not say that the bonsai has to be trained by the owner. You
can check this out for yourself at
http://www.bonsai-bci.com/contests.htm
Alan Walker

From: "Jay Wilson"
Andy,
You are trying to compare apples and oranges here. There is nothing

wrong
with shows judging an artists craft and skill in growing and

maintaining
bonsai and there is nothing wrong with having shows judging who can

buy
the
best bonsai.
These are two totally different criteria and should not be mixed in

the
same
show.
Just my opinion,