Old 11-01-2004, 09:02 AM
Jeanne Stockdale

Default Briar Roses

We have a number of roses in our garden - I think they are called briar
roses. The type that develop lots of hips after they have finished
flowering. They also through out a lot of new shoots from underground.

Some of the new shoots I am taking out as the beds are in danger of being
swamped.

But what about the original bushes - should these be pruned in the same way
as modern roses? I am sure I read somewhere that you don't prune them but
they are getting straggly and, particularly at this time of the year, they
look very untidy.

I would appreciate any help

Jeanne Stockdale