Old 11-01-2004, 04:33 PM
John Hines

Default Too cold for bubblers?

"Nicole Thompson" wrote:

So, my question is, should I unplug it altogether until warmer weather or
just let it keep going? The pond looks frozen solid and the pump doesn't
*sound* much louder than it did......but I'm still concerned. I thought of
adding a de-icer, but I have no idea if that would really help or not -
we're talking about a 10' x 10' (roughly) water area that's 18" deep. Am I
being overly-concerned about the fish since the one *did* survive w/out
anything last year?

Take a watering can full of hot tap water, and see if you can open up a
hole for the bubbler. In cold years (Chicago) I've had to do it on a
daily (or twice a day) basis.

Failing that, I ended up with a stock tank heater, but with hot water,
you can do something now.

If you can keep water open, your pond will be most popular with the
local wildlife, a very good thing.

You might have one or two survivors next spring, don't give up hope.