Old 11-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Alan Gould

Default Shredder recommendations

In article , simon simonles@bonbo
n.thisneedsremoving.net writes
I am looking for recommendations for a good quality shredder : brand,
suppliers, advice on what spec. It has to be mobile, so I assume that
means a petrol engine.

During the year, I come across an awful lot of hedging material -
mainly privet. In the past, I've burned this material, tried to
compost it (but it takes an awful long time), dumped it at the local
council refuse tip.

I don't mind paying a premium for something that will last and take
some wear and tear. I've done the false economy thing too many times.
I bought a small jetwash last year from a local diy store. I later
discovered the unit was so underpowered it was taking at least three
times as long to clean with the unit. So, I would have saved myself a
lot of grief by spending the extra money on a professional unit in the
first place.

Go for a petrol driven shredder with at least a 5 bhp engine. I have
been using a Viking 350 with a Briggs & Stratton 5hp engine for the past
3-4 years. It is a very effective machine when working, but it is noisy,
it requires a lot of maintenance and attention, frequent blade
sharpening and new blade sets @ £35 annually. It is also something of a
gas guzzler and in the higher price range @ £500+

When viewing shredders, remember that sellers will always over emphasise
their working ability and under-emphasise their noisiness, so get a
second opinion if you can.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.