Old 11-01-2004, 06:32 PM
J Kolenovsky

Default Border Garden Ideas?

One thing you might consider is to contact the Native Plant Society in
your state and see what the recommendations are. Lots of color
potential. Most likely, you'll probably find a wide variety of plants
and small understory trees and large shrubs/small trees that will cover
various layers of height that will lend to biodiversity of your site,
attraction to diverse species aof wildlife and increased resistance to
diseases and blights. You have a drip line which is extremely
Watersmart, http://www.watersmart.cc/, and with the occassional use of
an organic fertilizer, you could have a champion award habitat with that
kind of southern exposure. If you like butterflies and hummingbirds, you
could select a number of nectar plants and then offer tall shrubs/small
understory trees for other wildlife. This variation of cover would
enhance that.
=

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com

http://www.nwf.org/backyardwildlifehabitat/
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/nature/wildscapes/
http://www.prairienet.org/gpf/natives.html - all Native Plant Societies
in the US
http://www.nwf.org/backyardwildlifeh...atsnearyou.cfm
https://secure.nwf.org/backyardwildl...tify/page1.cfm
(your state may have a Master Naturalists chapter in your county and
they can be of great help as they normally are part of the Cooperative
Extension in your State)

ps - if this sound overwhelming, it 's not. Do it on your schedule and
at the pace you enjoy. Have fun while learning and observing what you
are persuing and trying to accomplish. When the day arrives, you will
beam with accomplishment, joy and satisfaction. =

Riddles wrote:
=

Hi, I am new to the list and curious to get some opinions about the
kinds of perennials to plant this upcoming growing season.
=

My bed in question runs the southern and western perimeter of the
house, which is approximately 80' and 42' long. The bed extends 2'
from the wall with full sun on the south and part-sun on the west.
The bed is irrigated with a buried drip line, which is on an
electronic irrigation system. The bed cannot widened due to the
location of the sprinkler heads for the lawn.
=

Last year was our first year in the new house, so I kept it very
simple by planting pale yellow petunias that complimented the color of
the siding and the brick. Now that the lawn is in, I want to be able
to devote more time (and color!!) to my largest bed.
=

Thanks,
=

Riddles