Old 11-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Sacha

Default Conservatory vine

Chris Boulby11/1/04 3:57

In message , Sacha
writes
Pete Griffiths11/1/04 12:32

Hi,

We currently have a new conservatory under construction, and have been given
a vine (no idea what variety!). There are no planting holes in the floor,
but I have heard that a useful alternative is to plant the vine outside
against the wall, and train it through a hole into the conservatory. The
hole would be large enough to accept the girth of the vine when matured, and
would be packed with foam or a similar material in the meantine. Is this a
sensible approach? (One of my concerns is mice!)

It was the old-fashioned way of planting grape vines. They are in natural
soil and receive rain water - unless of course you have to take a hand
during a drought. Sounds a good approach to me.
Of course, where you live depends on whether or not you would need to
protect the roots in winter - I'm sure others can advise you on that.

Does one really need to protect grape roots in winter? If so, what
from? I know they grow successfully in the Niagara fruit belt in
Southern Ontario, where winter can be both severe (down to -20C at
times) and sometimes quite wet if the snow thaws. The main reason for
growing grapes here under glass may be to give them more summer warmth
to ripen them, but others may know more than I do about this subject. I
have grown them completely outdoors when I lived in South Yorkshire, and
even managed to ripen them. We only got three bottles of wine from our
one vine :-)
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias

Honestly, Chris, I don't know. I put that to be on the safe side for the OP
and that's why I said others would advise. I grew up in the CIs where
people used to grow grapes as described but where there is low frost danger.
I'd hate to encourage someone to plant a present and then kill it.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)