Old 11-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Chris Boulby

Default Conservatory vine

In message , Sacha
writes
PK11/1/04 7:23
$ss1$1@hercule s.btinternet.com

Pam Moore wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:32:02 -0000, "Pete Griffiths"
wrote:

We currently have a new conservatory under construction, and have
been given a vine (no idea what variety!). There are no planting
holes in the floor, but I have heard that a useful alternative is to
plant the vine outside against the wall, and train it through a hole
into the conservatory. The hole would be large enough to accept the
girth of the vine when matured, and would be packed with foam or a
similar material in the meantine. Is this a sensible approach? (One
of my concerns is mice!)

Bob Flowerdew says he now advocates growing vines in big containers
and keeping them inside in summer and outside in winter. Yes that
way round. I forget the reasoning but have heard him say it more than
once on GQT. It is probably in one of his books somewhere.

the plant itself is very hardy - note the alpine vineyards. but the fruit
needs more warmth than many uk summers can provide except for cool climate
vines. My vitis brandt delivers a very healthy crop of small sweet grapes
every year outside in SW19.

Also a large vine is a very hungry plant if allowed to fruit heavily, hence
the practice of top growth inside, root growth outside - eg Hampton court
where the extensive root area is kept clear and manured every year.

pk

In Guernsey, the original 'Guernsey Grape' was Canon Hall. This is rarely
grown there now since the glasshouse industry collapsed but at one time,
Guernsey Grapes were famous and exported in wooden punnets with metal
handles.
We bought one baby vine from Reads three years ago and it's grown a lot. I
hope that *next* year, it will fruit because I have never tasted a better
grape ever, anywhere in the world.

This sounds very interesting. I'm thinking of planting some vines just
to see what they will do up here. Maybe I'll look for this one.
--
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias
Please note new email address: