Old 12-01-2004, 02:02 AM
Bruce Abrams

Default Compact vs Regular Fluorescent

I'd stay away from the AG compact hoods, as they don't have a real reflector
and consequently lose a great deal of light. If you get the triple
fluorescent strip, find it doesn't provide enough light and are at all
handy, you can retrofit it with an excellent compact fluorescent kit from
Aquarium Hobbyist Supply at http://ahsupply.com/index.html. I installed
their 55 watt kit on my 36 bow-front and am growing even high light
requirement plants very lushly. I can only imagine how much light their 96
watt at $60 plus bulb (or 2x96 watt! depending on your tank size) would
provide.

wrote in message
I am thinking of upgrading my lighting system and see two choices.

1. All-Glass triple tube fluorescent strip at 40watts per bulb for a
total of 120watts.

2. All-Glass High Output Compact fluorescent double 2x55watt for a
total of 110watts

The cost of the assembly for (1) is cheaper at about $100, relative to
around $130 for (2). The bulbs for (1) are around $9.00 and must be
replaced every 6 months to a year.

One, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about preferences for
one or the other ? In terms of output, costs ?

Does anyone have info on the cost of the bulbs for (2) and how often
they need to be replaced ?

Much thanks