Old 12-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Conservatory vine

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

Yes, grape vines will survive UK winters outside and live to grow again.
They will often flower and begin to bunch up too, but unless they are a
hardy variety bred for that purpose (often with sharp white berries),
they will seldom produce a satisfactory crop of fruit. There are some
commercial vineyards in S& SW UK where local conditions permit.

There are two excellent vinyards nearby (Norfolk) and one of them
produced a white wine which beat all comers in an international forum to
win first prize in its class a few years ago.

There are several commercial vinyards in Suffolk too, and, well, all
over the country. I know of a good one in Kent too.

We have prolific crops from three varieties of vine in greenhouse and
poly-tunnel. They all propagate well from cuttings, but none have ever
done much more than survive outside.

Black hamburg does well outside, if grown against a south-facing wall. I
have one ready to plant, and am just amassing a lot of bones to bung
into the pit I've dug for it. This will climb up the south-facing gable
end of my cottage, sharing space with a Brown Turkey fig. Exit ivy!

http:www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/hsefront.jpg

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/