Old 12-01-2004, 10:03 AM
David Rance

Default Conservatory vine

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Alan Gould wrote:

Within a few feet of that greenhouse is an older, partly dismantled and
de-glazed greenhouse where we grew Black Hamburgh and the German grape
for years. The vines still grow very well there, but even in last year's
summer, no bunches matured to edibility. My feeling is that height above
sea level could be a factor. Northern European vines seem to do well on
high ground, but we are only a few feel above sea level and that could
make the difference.

That shouldn't make any difference. Many northerly vineyards on the
continent are on the banks of such rivers as the Mosel and the Rhine.
And in France most of their northerly vineyards are not far from river
valleys. The warmth from the river water stops the temperature dropping
too much at night.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |