Old 12-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Sacha

Default Conservatory vine

Chris Boulby11/1/04 11:02

In message , Sacha
writes

snip
In Guernsey, the original 'Guernsey Grape' was Canon Hall. This is rarely
grown there now since the glasshouse industry collapsed but at one time,
Guernsey Grapes were famous and exported in wooden punnets with metal
handles.
We bought one baby vine from Reads three years ago and it's grown a lot. I
hope that *next* year, it will fruit because I have never tasted a better
grape ever, anywhere in the world.

This sounds very interesting. I'm thinking of planting some vines just
to see what they will do up here. Maybe I'll look for this one.

One site says that it 'needs some heat' but doesn't say whether that means
just in winter or ayr, so you might want to check on that. I'm hoping to
get another to plant in our prop. house which is gently heated all the time.
It will be interesting to see if it's more vigorous and fruits earlier.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)