Old 12-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Rob Halgren

Default potting straight into coconut chips

Stuie wrote:

Hey all
Has anyone had experience planting paphs straight into CHC.What were
the results etc.I think learning to water it differently would be the
first step.I have used it for the last few years as an addition and
the plants love it.
Just thinking about it as i go out to start repotting.)-:
STUART
SYDNEY AUSTRALIA

I use about 2:1:1 CHCerlite:charcoal. The biggest perlite and
charcoal I can buy. I've done a few in straight CHC, and in my opinion
it stays a bit too wet for paphs. Might be ok for phrags. If you were
to use the very large size (1/2-1") and a clay pot, then sure, I've done
that and it works. Smaller grades and plastic pots would not be a good
idea without some sort of addtion.

Your results will be greatly improved if you soak your CHC in several
changes of pure water (RO or rainwater). Regardless of what it says on
the label, presume you need to wash it. Besides, that will wash out
some of the fines and hydrate the CHC nicely.

Also, regardless of the fact that all of these components should last
for at least 5 years, I have found (much to my sorrow) that two years is
pretty much the outside limit. I've finally got around to repotting
again, and anything in mix that is much older than two years is
suffering. Some are rootless wonders. Some are looking for freedom. I
strongly suspect that this is more a phenomenon of salt accumulation
than rotting mix, but I'm going back to my previous habit of repotting
paphs every year. They always respond well.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit