Old 12-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Pat Brennan

Default potting straight into coconut chips

Hey Rob,

I am glad you said it because this is one of those things I have just kept
my mouth shut about. But my experience has been that CHC only lasts a year
or two. I have no idea what the conditions are that lets CHC last five
years, but I know I do not have them. I too am repotting CHC once a year.
For Paphs I am pretty happy mixing bark and CHC 1 to 1 instead of using all
of one or the other.

Pat

"Rob Halgren" wrote and I lifted in message

Also, regardless of the fact that all of these components should last
for at least 5 years, I have found (much to my sorrow) that two years is
pretty much the outside limit. I've finally got around to repotting
again, and anything in mix that is much older than two years is
suffering. Some are rootless wonders. Some are looking for freedom. I
strongly suspect that this is more a phenomenon of salt accumulation
than rotting mix, but I'm going back to my previous habit of repotting
paphs every year. They always respond well.

Rob