Old 12-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Rob Halgren

Default potting straight into coconut chips

Pat Brennan wrote:

Hey Rob,

I am glad you said it because this is one of those things I have just kept
my mouth shut about. But my experience has been that CHC only lasts a year
or two. I have no idea what the conditions are that lets CHC last five
years, but I know I do not have them. I too am repotting CHC once a year.
For Paphs I am pretty happy mixing bark and CHC 1 to 1 instead of using all
of one or the other.

The chips themselves look to be in good condition after two years.
So I suspect they would last a while. But I think the roots of my
little babies are too sensitive. So after a couple of years (2 seems
safe, 2+ not safe) I think something builds up in the mix. I don't know
that I would mix bark and CHC. A) I'm trying to avoid bark, that is why
I'm using CHC in the first place! *grin* and B) I like something
inorganic in my mix.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit